The Cable Route Tracer is designed to locate, trace and measure the depth of buried energized power cables. The heart of the instrument is a compact control box attached to a precision-wound, swivel-mounted detecting coil that operates from three basic positions:
- Horizontal: for maximum deflection over the cable
- Vertical: for a null over the cable
- 45° angle: for a null at a horizontal distance from the cable that is equivalent to the cable depth
- Locates and traces cable energized with 50/60 Hertz
- Three-way swivel detector also measures cable depth.
- Weighs only 2.5 lb (1.1 kg); can be used indefinitely with little fatigue
- Locator is not affected by telephone lines, gas or water pipes, steel reinforcing or metallic conduit.
- Fully transistorized amplifier has 10-turn gain control for wide adjustment range.
- Provides up to 150 hours of operation; instrument features a battery test circuit.
- Tracer responds to current flowing in the cable, even in metallic conduit.
- Two sensitivity ranges enable tracing of cables as much as 8 ft (2.4 m) deep.